Skip to the content

Thank you for your patience, and apologies that we haven't been in touch since last week.  The truth is, we didn't have any new information to give you, and we have been concentrating our efforts in getting through outstanding self assessments for clients to ensure that all self assessments for the 2018-19 period are filed before the 23rd of this month, to guarantee that they will be able to get the Government support on offer.

This is a final reminder to any of our clients, who have either still to hand in paperwork for the tax year covering 6th April 2018 to 5th April 2019 or pay us for preparing their self assessment.  Unless we have all relevant information, and payment of our fee, we WILL NOT be able to process your tax return for this period and you could miss out on the assistance you will be entitled to, if HMRC do not receive your return by the 23rd April.  This gives you/us, two weeks to get this organised.

We know the vast majority of you had this period submitted before the January deadline earlier in the year, but there are still a few clients outstanding.  

A few more details have been disclosed on various schemes/grants etc, and I have summarised them below.  Again if you are unsure as to what applies to you, please just drop me an email and I will be happy to discuss this with you.


Business Rates Relief Support

We have had confirmation from clients that the £10k and £25k payments have started landing for those based in West Dunbartonshire.  We think Glasgow City Council are slightly behind on their processing in comparison, probably due to the volume of applications in West Dunbartonshire being less, but it is encouraging to know that people are receiving some assistance as promised!


Self Employment Income Support Scheme

In order to make a claim for the Self employment Income Support Scheme, you must have a Personal Tax Account setup and running.  We have listed a step by step guide below for you to get this organised.  If you are unable to do this yourself for any reason, we will be able to get this organised for you, but we have to make a nominal charge of £25 plus VAT for our time.  We do not want to have to charge anything additional at this time, but unfortunately, I am only one person, and cannot get through everything myself, and we also have a team to be paid at the end of the month who have been working round the clock to ensure everyone gets the support they need, if we need to undertake any additional work at the moment, unfortunately we will need to make a charge for our time.

How to Register for an Online Tax Account

1. Click on the 'START NOW' Button - HERE
2. If you have never had a Government Gateway account, you should click on 'Create an Account' on the next screen - the 4th option.  You will need your passport and NI number to complete this part.
3. Choose 'CREATE A GOVERNMENT GATEWAY ACCOUNT' from the options on the next page.
4. The next screen takes you to a slightly confusing login screen, look for the text directly below the login box which states 'CREATE SIGN IN DETAILS'
5. Enter Email address on the next screen
6. A code will be sent to the email address you have given, so please take care and enter the correct email address or you will need to start again.
7. Enter this code to verify your email address.
8. Enter your personal details, screen by screen.
9. Take a note of your 12 digit Government Gateway number shown on screen.
10. Choose the type of account you need, this will be 'INDIVIDUAL' if you are a self employed sole trader.
11. Setup additional security by adding in your mobile number.  Make sure this is a mobile number you have access to at the time of setup as it texts over a code for security.
12. Add your passport details to verify your identity.
13.  Account should be LIVE!

Good luck!

Directors can be furloughed

It has been clarified that directors can be furloughed under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, however it should be noted that the scheme does not cover dividend payments. While furloughed directors can undertake statutory duties they must not undertake any work to generate revenue or provide services to or on behalf of their company apart from statutory duties, such as administrative work, etc.

Those who are shielding can be furloughed

Individuals who are shielding, or need to stay at home with someone who is shielding can be furloughed. Guidance on shielding can be found here. It should however be noted that those claiming statutory sick pay cannot be furloughed until they are no longer receiving it. Those who are on sick leave or self-isolating should claim statutory sick pay.
Furloughed Scheme

We have received information that the online portal will go live on the 20th April, and you will be able to make a claim for periods which are in increments of 3 weeks each time.  By that time some people may have already been out of work for 6 weeks, and have two claim periods to make.
We don't know how involved the process will be, but have been told the following information will be required to make a claim;

What you’ll need to make a claim

Employers should discuss with their staff and make any changes to the employment contract by agreement. Employers may need to seek legal advice on the process. If sufficient numbers of staff are involved, it may be necessary to engage collective consultation processes to procure agreement to changes to terms of employment.

To claim, you will need:

  • your ePAYE reference number
  • the number of employees being furloughed
  • the claim period (start and end date)
  • amount claimed (per the minimum length of furloughing of 3 consecutive weeks)
  • your bank account number and sort code
  • your contact name
  • your phone number

You will need to calculate the amount you are claiming. HMRC will retain the right to retrospectively audit all aspects of your claim.

We will have all of this information available, based on what you have given to Ellis or Caroline over the last couple of weeks, so please keep us as updated as possible with any changes to this as time passes.  

It has also been stated that employers may need access to a business PAYE account.  We are currently checking what clients have this setup, if you don't, either Ellis or Caroline will be in touch over the next couple of days to make you aware of this and let you know how we go about getting this in place for you.



About the author

Emma Armstrong

Emma Armstrong

Emma has worked in finance for over 15 years, becoming a self-employed Bookkeeper 11 years ago, and training to become a Certified Accountant before launching B-Able in 2012.

Emma is dedicated to providing her clients with reliable business support.